Thread: my 48 s10 swap
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #97
Lrall

Re: my 48 s10 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55dude View Post
how "bolt on" would you rate the kit you purchased and what were some of the pro's and cons so far? don't worry about being long winded on your opinions let us know.
I'm not 100% done yet so i cant say how bolt on the bed and running boards are but from the cab and front clip mounting i can say it would be a 6 or 7 out of 10. It makes the process easier in some respects but harder in others. The cab would go on like a champ but the frame rails have a step in them which makes leveling the mounts a *****. I spent close to 4 days just getting the mounts level and square and how i wanted them.
Then the front clip...It works well but i dont know if it was just my frame or all s10s are like this. The passenger side frame rail curves down at a different time than the driver side, so i have to take a piece of angle iron and grind it to fit the curve so i had a flat spot to mount to. I really wish i could have mocked all this up before paint, as i could have addressed problems like this better. The bed will probably require some modifying also. Dont take this the wrong way, the kit has been a HUGE HUGE HUGE help. It is a top quality kit, but here is where i nitpick some more. The cab is mounted rediculously high.
I believe this is for 2 reasons. 1. The tranny has little clearance as my motor sits now, it is such that the motor is as far forward to give clearance for the hump but enough room for the radiator and accessories. 2. The s10 frame curves up and consequently so does the box....In hindsight i wish i could have cut the cab mounts down about 3 or 4 inches and just lost the box height. Live and learn though right? I want it to go much faster but i LOVE fabbin' stuff. It took me a week to make the tranny crossmember but i did it, it looks top notch and im proud of it. Updates to come today hopefully
lr

Last edited by Lrall; 05-28-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote