View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #56
JJorgensen52
Simple? What's simple?

Re: New project! The "Red Herring"

In roughly reverse order:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Yes these braces were spot welded at the top to the rear panel. Section 1 sheet 42 of the assembly manual shows the part. My main computer is at the repair shop so I can't scan a picture to put up on here. Don't know your fab skills but you may have to make up pieces to add to this and extend down to bottom of new floor pan...Jim
I have the replacement braces, so I am not concerned about that for the moment, I just could not see any spot welds inside the cab to drill in order to separate them from the rear panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Farmer Sid replaced the back panel on his truck. Here it is in case you haven't seen the build. Worth a look.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
This build is actually the primary reason I do not want to replace the rear panel - it seemed like there was a LOT of delicate metal surgery involved;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Can you show the braces? Is the rear panel dented up or too rusty?
The major problem with the rear panel is dents. The driver's side has one that I can work out, but the passenger's side looks like it was caved in at some point, and beat back out with a baseball bat. It was filled with bondo - up to a 1/2" thick in places.

That said, the metal is in good shape all along the beltline at the top of the panel and for most of the rest of it save the dented area.

The rust at the bottom lip I can fabricate a replacement piece for, so that I am not too concerned about.

If you look back at the first photos in posts #14 and #21, you can see a little bit of what I'm referring to about the passenger's side. I realize I haven't posted a good photo, I can snap one this afternoon.
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote