Thread: 47-55.1 *Emergency Brake Setup*
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 03:54 AM   #15
dsraven

Re: *Emergency Brake Setup*

newer vehicles with electric park brakes are simply an electric linear actuator that pulls the cable tight. personally i'm not a fan. that's just me though. you gotta be you.
an s10 pedal could mount to the kick panel and the cable would go through the floor beneath the pedal. they are cable released so the cable can be mounted close by within reason. a mechanical release rod could also be fabbed easily to replace the cable. another option would be newer pedal system that is released by simply stepping on the pedal again, no release cable needed.
does your big 10 rear axle have drum or disc brakes? drum brakes usually require the park brake to be operational to assist with shoe adjustment otherwise the truck will end up with a low brake pedal due to the amount of fluid required to bring the shoes out against the drums if there is no park brake adjustment, which normally does this little job for you. if disc brakes then the park brake is less important from that stand point depending on the disc set up and if the caliper is used for the park brake. either way, why would you NOT want a park brake? do you know the force exerted on the park pin in the trans (automatic) when the truck is parked on a hill and no park brake is available to hold the unit's weight? if a standard trans, you still rely on a single system, and ultimately engine compression against a selected gear ratio, to hold your truck back when parked. I have personally seen trucks move when left in gear with no park brake. just my opinion though.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote