View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Ramiro0727

Re: Brake line questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'm not really understanding your question. The front lines on your 69 are bigger than the front lines on a 71/72 with disks - the 71/72 are supposed to be smaller diameter (your question implies that something from your 69 is smaller than something on a 71/72, and that is not the case). The front lines for a factory 71/72 front disk setup are 3/16" rather than the 1/4" your truck currently has in the front - that is why we're saying it's ok to leave the rear lines in place - 1/4" is correct for all the drum rears. 3/16" is smaller diameter than the pre-71 1/4" lines - for higher pressure at the caliper. It can be done without changing ANY lines - but it's not factory correct, the fronts should technically be 3/16" for a disk setup to have the correct pressure in the front system. The link ledzepp posted has good info about the fittings you'll need. Or you can just take your master cylinder and combo valve and the first few lines to the parts store and sort out what fittings you need as well. It is safe, and it is factory correct to have 1/4" lines to rear drums and 3/16" lines to front disks. The systems never cross/mix, front and rear are separated at the master. Front system should be a 3/16" line from the master to the combo valve and then 3/16" all the way to the calipers (or, more correctly stated, to the front rubber lines - and those should be replaced also). Hope that helps!
Thanks Jocko. I think I understand it now.
Ramiro0727 is offline   Reply With Quote