View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #78
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

It isn’t always wet and raining in Washington State, the sun came out the other day and I have pictures to prove it, hooray spring is just around the corner.

The bed is finally apart and more cleanup is in progress.

When I was 16 I spent about two months working in an undercoating shop assisting putting on this tar like undercoating (definitely not the job for me). I would never have thought that so many years later I would be working at removing the old and crusty stuff HA HA.

With a propane torch and a putty knife removed about 90% of it and then used a rag soaked in diesel fuel to remove most of the rest. About 99% removed should save me at the sandblasters (see picture below).

Name:  Bed-parts.jpg
Views: 12318
Size:  100.0 KB

I’ve seen on many un-restored trucks with wood beds rust under and around the angle strip spot welded to the bed side and mine is no different. Will be removing this angle strip and replacing it with a stainless steel one bolted on. More spot welds to cut and holes to drill, what a joy (not).

Just a picture of the rear frame before I start working on it, nice to have a reference photo for when the parts will be reassembled and changes made.

Just noticed that the cross member on the frame just aft of the rear end is not at 90 deg to the frame. My frame is strait and from what I’ve seen of the frame drawings the factory installed it this way. Not that it will affect any thing just doesn’t make any sense to me as why they did it that way. Another question that probably will never be answered as to why, it’s just the way it is.

Name:  Frame-Start.jpg
Views: 11795
Size:  68.2 KB

It’s nice not to be totally relying on my kerosene heater to stay warm when working on the truck, the weather should only be getting better.