View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Power Steering Question ?

Hi Ken,
Those U joints are rather common and they can come from companies like Borgeson with the ability to dampen steering vibrations like this: https://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/...IaApUpEALw_wcB that way they can take the place of a rag joint. I used them on my own trucks too. The reason they are nice is because adding a power steering adapter offsets the steering box by the width of the plate which makes the box a bit off center from the column. The addition of a second (non-dampening ) U joint at the column will allow the mid shaft to track to the side thereby overcoming the offset. I have also seen power conversions where the installation changed the angle of the box relative to the column and the U joints were needed to restore a "straight shot". You can overcome an angle change with one U joint, but it takes two to properly overcome an offset. U joints in a column also reduce the odds of a driver becoming impaled by the rod in the event of a serious head on collision. The rod will likely buckle at the joint changing it's trajectory away from the driver. Bogeson tech support is rather helpful with product selection and part numbers and their website was of some help to me too when I did mine.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 11-18-2020 at 07:57 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote