View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #23
c10hevy

Re: 1987 V2500/3500 12v nv4500 build

Big Delay.
On my road trip to Montana/Washington in Aug my trusty 2001 4runner decided to puke all the oil out of the engine and ATF out of the trans after crossing the Rocky Mountains. She had 273k miles on her and I was hoping to keep it pretty much forever, but when all this happened 1,800 miles away from home I didnt even investigate what caused it, and decided to buy a new one.

Once I got to Montana, I found a holy grail of Junk Yards near Somers, MT. There were probably 100 various squarebodys, as well as almost anything cool you can think of!
There were 2 fastback mustangs!! IN A JUNKYARD!! along with 1st gen Camaros, AD trucks, literally everything. These show very little of the yards and I apologize, my dad and I were too awestruck to properly document the experience.

I also decided to get into ammo reloading around the same time. (horrible timing, I know!)
This was my initial setup, but Ive gotten much deeper down this rabbit hole.

Since I can now make my own ammo, why not buy something Ive always wanted!? So I also bought a Marlin .444 Dark series, .357 1894C, and Ruger GP100 in .357 because, it gets cold in Iowa, need an inside winter activity.

As far as truck updates go, snagged a 97 47RE with TC for a decent price and dropped it off at Schmitt Performance Transmissions today. Chris seems like a great guy!
I decided to go with Goerend everything, including billet input and their new AD torque converter (supposed to be the best of both worlds).

Unfortunately, even though the 91 NP205 is 23 spline, it does not bolt up to the 47RE without cutting the trans output shaft or using a ORD adapter. So to preserve spline engagement and make, I got the ORD adapter ordered.

I also bought a wabco air compressor and have it partially installed.

Ill need to massage the throttle linkage.

With AMPLE room for a power steering pump!!

I was very confused over all the connections locations for oil and coolant. Thanks to Jonesy at Adventure Vehicles NW, I understand how it all goes together.
Here are some pictures if anyone is in the same position (way over their head!)

And Ill be getting an oil feed line than adapts the vacuum oil feed to the air compressor, the return will flow into the gear train.

When I was at Lowes a bit ago, came across this badass Cummins swap with about the best license plate Ive seen.
c10hevy is offline   Reply With Quote