View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What's the trick for pulling a park brake assembly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
You're losing me here and, I'm, therefore, a bit confused. Is removing the cable from the assembly inside the cab one of the things you are trying to do? If so, are you saying it appears riveted to the assembly? That is not the case. If I understand, what you are seeing is a round headed pin. The other end of the pin toward the kick panel has a clip on it to retain the cable. Once the pin is removed the cable is easily removed from the cab by pulling it through the firewall from the engine side. There is a rectangular grommet in the firewall you will also need to remove. Chances are it will have a slit in it allowing it to be separated from the cable. Below are the only pictures I have that may help. The first shows the pin in place (top of pic, circled). The second shows the firewall grommet (partially hidden by harness, circled). The third shows the end of the cable with the pin removed. It's a bit of a pain to get the clip off.
I'm pulling the entire E-brake Jim. I started with the e-brake assembly, it's a bit jammed so I thought to remove the cable first, which may provide more clearance.

As for the cable, I've pulled the grommet no problem. I'm not seeing the clip you're referring to. Do you mean the cotter and clevis pin? Those are removed, but I doubt I can get "retainer two" through the firewall. There's a "ball clamp" on the end of the cable to what I'm calling retainer one. Behind that is "retainer two". Here's some more pics, for what it's worth.

Edit: Never mind the remove ball clamp business. Probably incorrect.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-10-2017 at 04:37 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote