View Single Post
Old 04-07-2024, 02:48 PM   #9
PbFut

Re: 1972 Door Panel fitment

So I have to give 1972CheyenneSuper a huge thanks. After about 2 1/2 hours of scrubbing 1 panel the result is about a 9 out of ten. I am not 100% sure what actually happened to these panels. From one view it seems there was an aftermarket coating that was applied and subsequently failed. From a different view it seems like there is a factory coating or texture on the panel that failed in areas of high exposure to UV. light. It is all a guess and to some degree irrelevant to the goal of getting some decent looking panels on the truck. After one panel complete, (I hope the other one turns our as good) my observation is as follows.
The surface had a thin very dry deteriorating finish that would peel or crumble off. Once removed the surface looks factory, but in other area protected from light, the surface is courser. The difference is not noticeable as the courser appearance is on area covered by the insert or very low on the panel. Maybe a well trained judge's eye would pick up, but they would need to be really good, and this build is a driver level. Not show.
Getting the surface clean was not difficult once I figured out a good combo of cleaner and tools. I tried a vinyl trim tool to scrape. just ok. Simple Green and a fingernail brush was better but still not going to yield the desired result unless I brushed for a month. SOS was ok but the soap was not releasing the coating like Simple Green. I had some medium steel wool. I was concerned it would mark the surface, but the texture is such that if it's marked, it is not noticeable. I attached some photos of the process. The really close ups are such that you would be inches away to see. The texture difference almost appears intentional from factory. I can't decide for sure. Bottom line, I'm giving this a 9.5 out of 10. Super, I owe you a sixer or maybe even a case. Thank you.
Attached Images

PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote