View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 02:45 AM   #3196
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Never saw the snail brand wrench, is that an European thing?
I searched Google for Snail Brand tools.

Snail Brand tools of Saltley Mill, Birmingham, 8. Telephone: East 0173/4. Telegraphic Address: "Hammers, 'Phone, Birmingham". (1937)
1843 Business established
1886 Partnership dissolved. Thomas Smith of Hill Top House, Ward End, near Birmingham, William Smith of 21, Whittall-street, Birmingham, Thomas Smith the younger of The Laurels, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham, trading as Thomas Smith and Sons of Saltley Mill, Adderley-road, Saltley, near Birmingham, Warwickshire, and 21, Holborn Viaduct, Middlesex. Manufacturers of Tools, Bicycles, and Bicycle Fittings.[1]
1889 Produce castings and finished parts for cycles [2]
1896/7 Directory: Listed under cycles. More details [3]
1897 Smiths of Saltley Ltd was incorporated as a public company to acquire the iron and steel working business of Thomas Smith and Sons of Saltley. Claimed to be one of the largest stampers in the country; made parts for agricultural implement makers and other engineering firms; had supplied the cycle trade for many years and recently equipped works for manufacture of cycles[4].
1922 Drop forgers and cycle component manufacturers; death of William Smith, chairman and managing director[5]
1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Snail Brand Tools. Manufacturers of Drop forgings, in Carbon and alloy Steel, and Duralumin, for all purposes. Heat-treatment by modern plant. Spanners, Adjustable Wrenches, Hammers, and Hatchets of all descriptions. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand No. A.621) [6]
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote