View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #60
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can" Build

Just a quick update....

Started on my crossover arm today, printed out a template on PlasmaCAM and center punched and drilled all of my holes, everything is right on the money, bolts will thread in all 4 holes with no problem. Also added holes for dowel pins, I'm going to use two 1/2'' dowel pins, probably will get some fancy chromoly solid rod stock from speedymetals.com, and they'll get pressed into the lower piece of the crossover arm. And I did drill the draglink hole at a 10* angle like all high steer/crossover arms have, still have to drill it out to 7/8'' to fit these... http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Tapere...3163/3168/4086 - because I don't want to spend $70+ on a taper reamer that I may only ever use once.

Anyway, first & second picture is when I was drilling into the knuckles for the dowel pins, third picture shows the upper half of the crossover arm (will be a lower 3/4'' piece and an upper 1/2'' piece welded together, the spring cap will be welded in too so it will be all 1 contained unit, will put it to 1.25'' thick which is about the norm for high steer/crossover arms, and should look pretty cool too).

I also got the knuckles from OdinK30 on Pirate4x4 cleaned up and painted, Chevy Orange of course, because I like Chevy Orange and because it makes them look sorta like Reid knuckles

And a before pic of the knuckles, they have definitely seen some road salt! (and this was after being hit with the air chisel for a while, but before sand blasting) Also got another set of inner C's with the knuckles, maybe another steering Eaton?

Got the Eaton housing painted up with Rustoleum Flat Black to match the rear.

And of course, had the paint the Eaton Logo...

Also got the divorced NP205 housing cleaned up and ready for paint and to have the internals from the mated 205 and a used divorced 205 input installed soon.

Stay tuned for more updates soon, should be getting more done on that crossover arm tomorrow, as well as getting all the KP hardware installed.