Vic1947

Re: 65 Fairlane pro-touring build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Very nice fab..!!!
Thanks, Greg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I like your start/direction of the trans x-member mounting.

What manufacturers aftermarket trans x-member/s were you looking at? I figured someone (pro-touring type of vendor) made something decent for the early Ford stuff that might work/adapt across multiple platforms.
Thanks, hopefully it will come together like I envision. I was originally thinking about the Chassisworks universal x-member because I liked the machined ends. But the drop was just too much for the space it goes in. I could have cut it up and maybe made it work, but the end style wasn't really worth it. So, I went out on Summit's site and searched for transmission crossmembers and came up empty when looking at the design/materials/cost for most all of them.

Part of my dilemma is that I want to use the subframe connectors as the mounting points and not the rocker panels or the floor. That said, the floor will play a small role in all this. When I mocked up the fab'd extension on the passenger side, it hit the underside of the floor. Not a lot, but enough to be a problem. For several weeks now, I've been unhappy with the front floors. They look like a patchwork quilt and not in a good way. The interference with the trans extension was enough to send me over the edge. So today I made another trip to Metal by the Foot and picked up some 16ga panels and when I got home, I cut the offending area out of the driver side. I'll build clean panels from scratch and kill two birds with one stone. It will give me the clearance I need and scratch my OCD itch.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote