Thread: 292 4bbl Carb
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
NEWFISHER

Re: 292 4bbl Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I hate to tell you this 66, but you won't see any vacuum at wot.
Winner!

I have had several 6's am I an expert...no. Have I learned a lot...yes Do they make more usable and economic power than a V8? Hell no and its roughly 3x the money just to be able to pop the hood and show people it really is a 6 ( I just think that's the fun part for me). What I do know is this. An HEI does make a difference in increased power and cold morning starts. I can not measure this , but it also seems to "feel" better while running. A 2bbl and a 4bbl make a performance and economy difference. These are 2 individual upgrades I have made to these engines separate from other modifications and can only speak for them as in individual bolt on component and adjustment of them independently of each other including timing reset and valve adjustment at the same time.

Does throwing $4500 at a 250 from top to bottom, intake , 4bbl, headers etc make more horsepower and get better fuel mileage than a monojet on a stocker....HELL YES. Do I recommend it? Only if you are in love with the 6 as much as I am and don't want to follow the rest of the sheep ( still have an LS conversion sitting on a crate and I don't really want to switch over).

I can not comment on the Mercruiser carb other than I would believe they run rich as mentioned and that's probably why 3 laps around the lake I am out of fuel in the boat

I would recommend a Clifford "heated" intake, a Holley 390 ( if you can still get one) a set of Tom Langdon's cast headers (remember he was a GM engineer for several years and probably knows a thing or two about the 6) an A/C Delco reman HEI with an A/C Delco module. The A/C Delco or factory GM module is the key. You can get a used HEI, rebuild it but use a GM module. If your budget allows, contact Tom at 12bolt.com , watch his videos and get a set of lup ports from him. They are a couple hour job and are worth it. A swirl design valve for the 6 is also recommended along with an upgraded camshaft that will allow you to use the most of the intake and exhaust. Don't forget the z28 valve springs and the 194 valves.

It's like a stepping stone path to paradise. The path will only get you so far with so many stepping stones. Put down all the stones and you will have the best end result. Will you feel the difference of just a couple stones, sure. Will it be as good as having all the stones laid out in front of you on the path to the perfect 6? No

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 11-21-2014 at 08:52 PM.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote