Thread: 292 4bbl Carb
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
66Submarine

Re: 292 4bbl Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
The 292 I'm beefing up for power really didn't cost All that much...Especially from a 6 cylinder point of view...My engine is expected to make 310+ hp and 330+ torque...which for 292 cubic inches...is perrty darn fair...How I see it....If a man has the money...why not beef up a 6 banger...Its way more unique...gives a big smile...and is much nicer then the boring and waay to common 350...Remember...the 6 cylinder only has a lift of .371 on the cam...most v8s are running at least .450 I'm sure...but don't quote me...so when running a 6, .500 lift really isn't that bad....but rocker ratio has alot to play as well...1.75 for the 6. Its funny...I read of a naturally aspirated 292 6 cylinder drag engine that put out 650 hp...that's not bad at all...So...all depends on what you want I suppose...I'm a die hard 6 cylinder guy and all because there's plenty of resources for parts and they are far more unique imop. And I just like to encourage people to do something like this if they're considering because there are to many discouragers out there.....its becoming a chevy vs ford thing. LOL!
I think it's neat to see them in stuff, but I personally just don't really see them as being a great N/A power platform. Like I said before, I think I'd have to go with forced induction if I was building one as a hot rod piece.

The lift is certainly not the only thing to consider about the cam...what are the other specs?

BTW, what N/A 650HP 292 are you referring to? Cotton Perry's car made 549HP in the article I read (and also seemed to be pretty hard on itself). http://www.12bolt.com/inline_6_articles/cotton_perry

For a comparison, the Hot Rod guys later made 567HP with the same 454 on 91 octane (and 614HP on 114) with a solid flat-tappet cam. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...lock-for-4000/

I guess part of it is also the application; your SWB stepside half-ton only weighs something like 3,500LBS and my truck weighs over 1,000LBS more than that at around 4,600LBS. To make matters worse, mine is also going to use a wide ratio truck trans and be asked to pull heavy trailers.