View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
FB59LB

Re: Power Steering for 1959 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Cutting and modifying the original steering column to use it with the power steering setup isn't very difficult or very expensive but you still have to want to keep that column for it's aesthetics And need to want the original look.

A top quality aftermarket tilt column if you want tilt will work great but you want to stick to what Ididit or Flaming River sell and stay away from the Ebay cheapies. The other option is a factory column.

If you go with a straight non tilt column you can bargain hunt a bit as it is the tilt mechanism that is compromised in the cheap ones and they fail more often than not.

A few guys on on here have the power steering conversion kits on their TF trucks and some have posted photos and someone should either be able to show photos or give the link to their build thread.
Thanks for the reply mr48chev. I think i will try to use the original column and wheel. Really nothing to loose other than time. After purchasing and trying to install an aftermarket power firewall master cylinder and front disc brake kit, nothing seems to be an easy, bolt in, no modification fit. I also installed the aftermarket direct replacement electric wiper motor kit. Needless to say the bracket on the motor did not match the grommets on the wiper rods (Not sure if the wiper rods were original). I held off making these changes for years because of the lack of a space to store the truck if it wasn't running. Now I have a good space and I started to tear into upgrading the truck. After taking out the instrument cluster to install the firewall bracket for the new master, I realize that the wiring harness needs to be upgraded. Any advise on upgrading the wiring? Not sure if I want to run the wires through the firewall with a grommet or go with a connector at the firewall. If I live long enough I would like to install A/C and upgrade the headlights.
FB59LB is offline   Reply With Quote