View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
SparkyRnD

Re: Big block cooling help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutnxt View Post
Well...If it was me I would run a aluminum rad 2 or 3 core .....with a shroud and electic fan. I have several of these combo's with strocker engines making 650 HP and never have problems. The new style rads have less cores but are the same thickness and give more cooling....it used to be cores decided how thick the rad is now it's thickness with as few cores as possible. I am a big believer in shrouds and pulling eletric fans....
That is correct. Our radiators use dual 1" thick cores, for a total core thickness of 2". The old brass & copper 4-core radiators used four 1/2" thick cores, for a total core thickness of 2", which is the same as ours. The electric fan and shroud makes the system that much more efficient, and reduces the horsepower draw that mechanical fans take away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Sparky...help educate me on the dual speed fans....I'm an old school mechanical fan guy and am interested in possibly going electric for my big block swap if I have any clearance issues.
The dual speed fans are a great upgrade to the standard single speed fans. Basically, when there is a specific condition (ie: temps rise due to driving harder; a/c kicks on, etc.), the fan has a second, higher speed that it will move up to in order to cool down the engine. The controller is where you set that, or the PCM if you are using an LS style engine. The fan itself has 3 wires instead of two. If your engine is stock, you probably won't need it. If you have a big block and a/c, or a built engine, its a very effective way to keep your engine cooler.