Thread: 1972 SWB Build
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #87
beaterku

Re: 1972 SWB Build

So the latest progress started off with the best of intentions. It fought me literally the entire time. The first little hiccup was the lower cross shafts. They holes were offset on the shaft. This was not mentioned in the instructions. I had to wait until Monday to call and ask. They are supposed to be installed with the holes offset towards the rear of the vehicle. This makes sense as that will give more caster. Bueno. Now, on to the next obstacle. How to drive in these bushing casings. Again, no mention in the instruction other than Drive the Outer Shell into the Control Arm until the Shell stops against the Control Arm. The pictures were for another style of control arm. No help there. So I came up with an idea, I cut a short section of 2" thin wall tubing, sliced it open so that it would slip around the shaft. This worked on exactly 1 of the casings. It was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. We ended up strong arming 2 of the casings in with a brass hammer and socket. It was effective, but our arms were on fire. We ran out of time so I have 2 left, on on the pass upper control arm and 1 on the pass lower control arm. I am little bummed that it dinged up the paint on the cross shaft a little, but that's how it goes sometimes.

On a positive, the steering box and steering is installed. So that is good.

Attached Images

beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote