View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #53
Firebirdjones

Re: Increased MPG for carbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ1988 View Post
How much driving would you have to do to save enough gas money to pay for the swap?

I'm all about saving gas, but spending $5000 or so to swap will take a long time to pay off.

Thats like the hybrids, I didn't understand why people were going out and spending $20-30k on a car to save gas money???
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylervalo View Post
Me and a guy I used to work with did the math on financing a new hybrid vs keeping a paid for gas guzzler. I think the hybrid finally became cheaper to own around 9-10 years. Might have even been longer.
And that's the catch. I've found it makes more sense money wise to make what you have more fuel efficient first before you consider spending money on engine swaps and new cars.

Don't know about you guys, but I hate $500 a month car payments, plus full coverage insurance, expensive tags every year that are based on car values (in AZ) etc... That $30,000+ sure would put alot of gas in the tank of the car I already have.

That's not to say I'm against the LS swap. I did a 6.0/4L60 swap in my blazer, but an ailing transmission let me to consider an overdrive which led to just swapping the whole thing. In order to make that cost effective though, you have to plan to keep the vehicle for several years. I drive mine daily and have no plans to sell so it works out for me. An LS swap is still alot cheaper than a new car, and I'm not driving a cookie cutter car around I think you get the best of both worlds in my opinion.

The cost of the swap never really waivered me in any one direction however, I just knew I would enjoy the 6.0 power and the drivability the overdrive provides.

I was in the same boat with my 79 454 pickup. I don't drive it daily, it's just used for towing and hauling stuff. Would have loved a brand new duramax, but I couldn't justify spending $50-$60k on a new truck for something I rarely drive, and only gain about 3-4 mpg. The rising cost of diesel fuel finally put a lid on that idea. Now 40-50 cents more per gallon,,,,no thanks. I'd have dug a deep hole with those truck payments and then the cost to put fuel in it......OUCH!

If diesel were cheaper than gas like it used to be (and should be still) I probably would have a new duramax sitting here.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-25-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote