View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #55
Firebirdjones

Re: Increased MPG for carbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ1988 View Post
I hear ya loud and clear! Thats why my daily driver is the 69. Even with the 14 mpg, I am spending less than a newer car payment! And looking a lot cooler

I have done a lot of little things to make my truck more effecient, but I really need to learn more about tuning the Quadrajet to really squeeze the miles out of it.
Quadrajets are good carbs that work very well. They have their querks like any carb, but if you are willing to dive in you'll find it's fairly easy.

Hopefully you aren't the sensitive type and are open to ideas and/or suggestions. If not, I'd highly recommend investing in a wideband air fuel meter. I've used the LM-1 for many years and it's the only way to tune a car properly. You can shoot for a lean idle 14.7-15.0 and a lean cruise of about the same AFR and that alone will probably get you another 2-3 mpg. It might require that you dive into the carb for a couple of jet changes, maybe metering rods and power piston spring changes.

If you run a lighter power piston spring that opens at a vacuum of say,,,,4-8 inches, it will gain you some mileage during throttle transition and light loads (climbing mild grades) when your vacuum is lower, the power piston isn't going to open as often unless you dive below those vacuum readings. So long as the leaner fuel isn't causing any pinging issues it won't hurt a thing. If you do any heavy hauling or towing, this may need to be tweaked more to stay on the safe side of things.

That wideband will be your friend, and can be used on any car, just weld a bung in the exhaust and plug it in to the cig lighter, (also runs off a 9 volt battery) you're set to go.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote