View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #50
burnin oil

Re: Does running a benchseat without headrests worry anybody else?

No worries at all. I hate the newer seats, especially in Ford vehicles. When I drive the F150s at work the first thing I do is flip the head rest around. I like headrest for comfort but cant stand the way alot of the newer ones push you head forward. It works great if you are trying to drive with the seat in the horizontal position. I recently swapped out the bench seat for some power seats out of a Durango as it was cheaper than recovering my bench seat. These have integrated head rests but are almost perfectly vertical. No staring at my boots while driving. My truck still has the original seat belts and I have no plans of going to 3 points. Heck my 51 Mack doesn't even have seat belts.

Back when I was in high school and just after I worked at a junk yard. I can tell you that the cars from the early 90s did not fair to well in crashes. Each design has its merits. We used to wait for the rescue squad guys to come in to see if people survived. Older heavy frame vehicles tended to give whip lash injuries but people survived. Newer cars tended to pin the occupents and get impaled. One car that I remember very well was a Saturn with those highly toughted side impact bars. It was Tboned at 25MPH on the passenger side. The door was half way across the drivers seat! After talking to both the officer and EMS guys speed was verified and the unlucky driver did not survive. I have seen several pickups the nailed trees right between the frame rails on the front. Fans would be bent around the motor but the cab was untouched. I am sure the driver was sore but definatly walked away.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote