View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Campbel45

1968 Chevy C50 questions. Pictures and videos.

Hey guys, I just finished replacing my exhaust on my somewhat new-to-me C50 grain truck. Being under the truck for a little bit now, I've noticed a couple things I'm not sure about. Below are questions, pictures and videos!

#1. Power Steering with assist ram - I have the front axle up on jacks and noticed the steering wheel will started slowly turning to the right when I started the truck up. Under the hood, a slight hum is coming from the power steering lines. Not too loud, but noticeable now that my exhaust is quite. My power steering line also has a cooler. Is this factory? Normal?

#2. PTO noise - my PTO and pump is engaged by two cables just below the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. I noticed that PTO universal joint has some play so I will replace those. But what I'm concerned about is the amount of noise that comes from the PTO when its engaged. I've tried looking for videos of PTO engagement with these old trucks but can't find any that I hear THIS much noise. What do you think? The transmission has oil to the oil fill line. Based on how the pump was installed, I have to assume this has been swapped or moved at one point. Besides the noise, the truck dumps just fine. I also think its weird the pto shaft is so close to the parking brake.

#3. What do you think this is? Spare tire?

Last edited by Campbel45; 05-11-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Campbel45 is offline   Reply With Quote