View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #40
joedoh

Re: 1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

yeah when I saw the notification I went right away.

painted the parts under the engine I wouldnt otherwise be able to reach with the motor installed and plopped the motor back in.
IMG_7437 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7438 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I didnt show this before but I marked the angle of the engine/trans with a bubble level and set it that way again to install the trans crossmember
IMG_7447 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

trimmed the trans crossmember to fit the frame after setting the centerline of the trans and welded it in
IMG_7444 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7445 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

"but Russ," I hear you asking, "how will you get the trans out if the crossmember is welded in?"

well give me a little credit. the crossmembers came with a pair of bolt in ends each, total of 4. I had no plans to bolt the engine mount in, so I used all 4 on the trans crossmember. I had slipped them on before welding the crossmember to the frame, then I lined them up with my mini magnets (they have notches on the bottom to use with tubing) and tacked one side, then cut the tube with a sawzall, then bolted up the other side, and tacked it in too. I will take it out to weld it solid when I clean up the frame and redo the front cab mounts, they are just tacked for mockup and will need checked again when I fix the floor of the cab.
IMG_7448 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7449 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7453 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

while I was running around with the sawzall I cut the frame in a much more expeditious way than the last truck, since I know what needs to clear now.
IMG_7450 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and I finished the oil cooler removal too, popped a filter on because there was some serious sludge in the pan so I will run a quart of motor flush through it. I have extra filters.
IMG_7454 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and I have decided on the look for this one, I am going with artilleries again, with the 41 caps this time, and BLACKWALL bias look radials from coker. the dash will be shiny black, the seat recovered in black vinyl and jet black carpet for the floor. hannah will be a true fallen angel in her dark juniper green paint and the only chrome will be her grille and bumper and taillights. I can SEE IT.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote