View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #7
wrangler94

Re: 14 bolt for $400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Would the 14 bolts in a 3/4 ton truck be weaker or have smaller brakes than a 14 bolt from a 1 ton?
If so than I'd really like a 1 ton style 14 bolt. Thanks for letting me know that they are fairly common though; and your pricing info.

How easy is it to swap a 1990's pickup 14 bolt into a 67-72? I seem to remember that if you find a 14 bolt from the 70's it slips right in. I guess I need to measure spring perches and shock mounts.
Basically a 14 bolt is a 14 bolt unless you get the semi float 14 which is 6 lug. Those came in some 2500s i think and maybe like a 1500 HD.
The biggest thing to check on is axle width, which if it's a single rear wheel 1 ton truck, should be in the neighborhood of right. Dually 14 bolts are a different width (I think) but definitely different hubs. Then Cab and chassis 14 bolts are different, and the van 14 bolts might be also different.
Here is a link to basically everything you could ever want to know, and probably more than most want to know, about 14 bolts. http://www.billavista.com/tech/Artic...ble/index.html

Just asking though, why would you want to remove the HO72? Unless you just want to change gear ratios or something, there is nothing stronger about a 14 bolt, and in the offroading world a few rare stubborn people like me buy the Eaton axles and run those.
If you'd like a link to a kinda tech bible about the HO72 I can send a link, but it's from a forum, so I don't want to post any link that maybe i'm not supposed to, etc..
wrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote