View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 09:59 PM   #3
sfont66

Re: Cleaning fuel injectors

I agree, our family tends to keep vehicles a long time. And I commute to work driving on average 175-200 miles a day 3or 4 days a week. It’s not uncommon for me to run a vehicle 250-300,000 miles, (up here the road salt and winters claim the vehicle before the miles usually) never had a problem with injectors though on my personal vehicles…..

However if the vehicle has sat a long time, or the injector history is not known as in the case of an engine from the salvage yard then I would definitely have them cleaned professionally or buy new.
In my case I tried to use injectors that came with a ls6 intake I bought used.
I tried to clean them myself with a kit bought off of Amazon. The kit worked well for what it was, but the problem was that one or two of the injectors would unknowingly stick at random. This resulted in 1 cylinder filling with fuel and locking the engine up when initially trying to start. I was very fortunate that I didn’t damage a piston or rings.
Lesson learned, in the future I will send them out to be cleaned professionally if I question their history, or buy new.