View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #849
pdxhall

Re: The Ulitmate Craigslist find thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannny B View Post
If you're desperate, you can remove the seals and, pack the bearings with grease. That will get you home.
Chances are that; the shoes need backing off.
There is a small possibility that there is rust between the lining and the steel shoe,,, called rust jacking.
There is a possibility that the wheel cylinders expanded when the drums / shoes/ / springs were removed. You need to completely collapse the wheel cylinders/ adjustment.
Dunno if the shoes were removed or not.
Sometimes the bearings will get a bit crossed on the axle tube and, refuse to go on..
If you're already an inch onto the shoes, the seal hasn't yet reached the hub where it seats.
It sounds like the bearings are fighting you.
Check the lining-to-drum clearance first.
Thanks for the info Danny. I went back up to further work on the truck. After looking at things, I believe it is the outside seal that will not allow the drum to go all the way on. One wheel has all of the brakes components removed except the backing plate and it is having the same trouble getting past the seal and the end of the axle housing is right up against that seal but won't go past it. Does the seal come out from the outside or do I have to get at it from inside?

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote