View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 03:51 AM   #685
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Lots of work done in the last week or two. It is shaping up nicely and somehow you make it look like it all grew there. Funny to see that Washington plate that made its way to you via Amsterdam. How cool is that? I started collecting plates when I bought a parts car and bumper to fix my high school ride. Those were the plates issued after Washington stopped stamping the Washington into the plate. The green and white motif is gone now. I get a kick out of Mickey popping over and jumping into the middle of things. That is a friendship that has progressed well beyond neighborliness.
Good morning and thank you for the reply and compliments.

I am reasonably good at finding small bits of time (last night 30 minutes netted me bird proofing in the vent holes, to be reported later) to do tasks. Or working at silly hours, late or early, in order to get stuff moving.

Making it look like it grew there, I guess comes from slow dismantling with logic applied as I hate a messy work area, and because I get a real kick out of recycling stuff, as it means money can be spent elsewhere, like a car, truck, bike, machine.... means it seems like it has been there a while.

I have collected plates for a very long time, and the more story attached to them the better, used plates certainly do it for me, and speciality like Army, disabled, etc are where I try to be.
My most emotionally satisfying plate is one that friend Steve in Jonesboro Arkansas gave me..... it is one of TWO Purple Heart plates he got in Vietnam, having served in a war zone myself a long time ago, it is an honour to own.

Regarding Mickey.......

When we bought this house 10 years ago, we “owned” it for a year before moving in, and I used to come here as I had access to the garage, and also used to keep the garden tidy.

The first time I came here, my brother happened to be with me on a visit from South Africa. Mickey popped around at Lunch time with two massive bacon and egg sandwiches and mugs of tea for us.

This has never changed. We look out for each other, and just walk in on jobs to help each other.

However........

This is a copy and paste of some replies,on Retro Rides which is my “home forum”

Hope it makes sense.

Over here, the Brits sadly are very big on the NIMBY Principle. Means Not In My Back Yard

It was responses to my reply to Pete who asked about the posts and whether it was a permanent structure.

Sorry Glen.

She just left 2 minutes ago, smiling after stopping to check in, grab a coffee and some rusks, sleep over tomorrow night

I wanted to like this post but, for obvious reasons, couldn't.

But yes, an elegant sufficiency. [/quote]My world is sadly not as perfect as I make believe George.

Oh dear ... I do hope that's humour on you part Grizz ... :-S[/quote]Hi Tony, sadly, even I have a sense of humour failure at times.

And this time it were no humour.

But the cloud has blown over so status normal.

No I don't Rian
[/div]
[div]I was just asking as I would hate to think if you ever ended up with a neighbor similar to the one @grumpynorthener has would cause you trouble after all the hard work you are putting in to it.[/div]
[div]Glad to see you are thinking ahead for all possibilities.
[/div][/quote]Thanks Pete, I guess we all look out for each other on here.

Just to put it into perspective.

Mickeys an awesome guy. Like a father to me.

His wife conversely drives a broom that identifies as a Fiat 500.

She drove him to object to their neighbours on the other side’s council application to extend their house because it was going to rob them of their patio light (They have a garage down that boundary anyway)

When I put the single course of blocks down the side of the paving, after cutting back my hedge and added some plastic conduit for potential drainage, Mickey stopped talking with me for two days, till I confronted him directly on his pavement.
Turns out, he was unhappy about the conduit drainage because it could flood his back yard...... WTF !@!!! So typically British there NIMBY and all that.
Anyway, he and the wife were sitting outside whispering and I overheard them mention carport the day before.
So fortunately I was already doing all of this “inside of the rules and by the book” and will continue to do so.
I would hate to build it all , only for them to report me once it is complete, and council to tell me to tear it down.

I will continue to tread carefully as there is always someone ready to stir $h!t with a smile on their faces.

[/quote]

Last edited by Grizz1963; 07-10-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote