Thread: Duramax swap?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
txagincali

Re: Duramax swap?

Drewbee,
I am still working on mine (which will be an LB7 & 5 Speed Ally) but I am not sure how any more difficult it would be to do an LBZ. They have basically the same bottom end and dimensions, it would all boil down to getting a standalone harness for it and the 6 speed (LBZ) is all $$$. I am doing LB7 because I have one, but I might swap to an LBZ once I get the whole truck put back together, or at least mocked up and driveable to test for power.

The one big problem I am running into however is with the DMAX/Ally and Drivers side drop Transfer Case. With the C50 frame having springs directly below (measurements on your other thread) it mounts narrower than the trucks of today and really the only front Dana 60 that would bolt in would be the 78-79 F250 which are worth their weight in gold to offroaders since they also bolt into Jeeps.

Newer Ford F250 Dana 60's have the spring perch cast into the pumpkin and make for one very short side and one very long side tube, not too mention being about 4" wider for mounting. The TC driveline angle might be too steep to reach with those dimensions, but I have not tried so don't take my word for it. I just don't think there is a good AND cheap bolt in 4WD front axle for the C50 with a Drivers Side Drop.

But that's not to say that it can't be done as I saw a 4x4 show on TV where a guy built a custom front axle out of a Corporate 14 Bolt. I thought this would be a cool way to go to keep it all GM but it would be just as much money into building that from scratch as it would for a 79 D60.

Just things to think about.
1972 GMC K5 Blazer 4x4 (sporadically being worked on, accumulating parts)
txagincali is offline   Reply With Quote