View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #72
ryans69chevy

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC View Post
I think I breifly mentioned how I did the shrinking. Ill try to give you some more detail. I found a video on youtube that showed how to shrink using a propane torch. Basically what you want to do is heat up the high spot with the torch until it just starts to glow pink in the center. Then take your body hammer and a dolly and flatten down your high spot. Then you need a wet rag on hand so you can rapidlly cool the spot. This will shrink down your panel. Then if you end up with a crater, just contine the procedure again always heating the center of your high spot. Hope this helps. If you search how to shrink sheet metal on youtube, there was quite a few videos if I remember correctly.

I also need it to warm up so I can drag the rest of my truck home.
So how bad was the high spot before you started shrinking it? Did you try hammer and dolly before shrinking? That's what I've been doing and it's probably my impatience, but I can't seem to get the panel to straighten out. I've thought of getting a shrinking disc but maybe I could try a handheld torch bottle.
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote