View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #301
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Decided to start on wiring up the tach.

I found some instructions online where someone had hooked up a tach using the cummins balancer sensor. Following that I soldered in a 1k ohm resistor. The orange wire is a 12V wire, the gray wire (IIRC) is the tach signal, and the other wire is a ground. I had an old gas tach (that doesn't read acurately) and hooked it up to this to verify that I had a signal. When I hooked it up the tach read about 300 RPMS (about what is expected since there are only 2 pulses per revolution, not 4 like a V8 tach expects)

Then I ran the signal wire into the cab. I also found what I believe to be the tach signal wire that did go to the distributor (its a white wire that was marked tach, so assuming I marked it accurately when I removed the 454, this should be it) I ran that into the cab as well.

Then I hooked up my Dakota digital box and mounted on the bar that goes across the bottom of the dash. I didn't have the instructions on what switches needs to be where, so I didn't actually get the tach to work. I was getting a blinking green light which indicates it is getting a signal.

I found the instructions online for this, so I'm hoping I can get it all to work. One thing is I put a diesel guage cluster in, so its possible that the tach signal is looking for something other than what the gas tach is looking for. So that may be why it wasn't working. If I can't get that to work, I can swap in my gas instrument panel and hopefully that will work.....to be continued
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote