View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #195
EagleChief

Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

I'll try and give my best answers. Can't guarantee that they are correct, or the right way to do it - but, it's my plan for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
I am also watching, trying to learn something new....any idea, lift points..for the motor....trans going in as 1 piece?..I think the removal was done with straps around the oil pan on mine....don't want to lift from the exhaust manifolds from what I have read. I was hoping to put it back in the same way but unsure how to lift safely.
My lift plan as of now... Use a 4ft piece of chain with hooks. Attach one side to the front passenger side of the motor, on the bracket at the front. The other side can attach to the rear driver side - there's a bracket mounted behind the fuel rail that protects the rail from any damage. It is sturdy. When we unloaded the engine out of the delivery truck, that's where they attached to in order to lift it out and set it in my garage. I figured that would work for me.

Quote:
Thanks, I need to finish removing the crate....lift clear and hopefully set partially on trans pan and block the front. And motor mounts.. I also bought Speed engineering shallow oil pan and will try to replace from underneath unless that seems totally stupid. I would like to avoid removing intake, keeping as much original as possible.
I have a new pan kit as well. It came with everything, pan, pickup tube, windage tray, gaskets, hardware, etc. My thought is to raise the motor (as stated above), and replace all of the oil pan stuff while it's in the air. Probably not the safest, but I don't have a way to mount the engine on anything to get underneath it. Once I get that stuff swapped out, put the motor in.

Quote:
EagleChief, have you come to a decision on wiring harness? I know you have limited time with the new born..( Hope that's going great BTW.) I am going to attempt to rework the original, this guy has very good video's IMO... he is doing an LS swap in a jeep but basic LS wiring for dummies which is what I need..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIVd_SkB9Y
First of all, thank you! Baby girl is doing great and growing like a weed! We're starting to get longer sleep cycles at night, so that's always great.

I found a shop in Dallas, Texas that does rework and programming for LS swaps. He quoted me $400 to re-work my harness, flash the CPU and tune it to my needs (basic tune and remove what's not needed). I send my stuff to him, 3 days he turns it around and sends it back. Said it would be plug and play when I got it back. There are a couple of shops local to me that I need to talk to and get quotes. I'll compare them first, then make my decision.

Quote:
Before install in engine bay, I was hoping to lift engine 2ft or so, still connected to the hoist but safety blocks front and back. Pull pan and replace. Don't know if the windage tray needs trimmed for Speed engineering pan.
See above - I have the same idea. Lift it up, replace the stuff and install it in the truck.

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote