View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #886
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

My experience has been on a 2wd truck you have a couple of ways to improve braking. First and foremost make sure the stock brakes are functioning properly.

In front, the next step up from stock are the Wilwood D52 replacement calipers. These do require replacing the stock rubber hose, but that should be done anyway. You will need a braided stainless thats available from Summit racing. Combine those with Summit slotted rotors for a nice look and improved braking.

If you have a bigger budget, spend it on 13" (or bigger) Wilwood rotors and 6 piston calipers. This will make a noticeable difference in stopping ability, and dramatically reduce brake fade.

In the rear its hard to beat the factory 2.25 HD drum brakes. Replace the wheel cylinders and use quality shoes. Unless your going to upgrade to 13" Wilwoods with 4 piston calipers, dont waste your money on anything else.

I know ill get heat for saying this, but the 2.25 HD drums will out perform any of the small disc brake conversions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
Ken,
thanks for the reply. My ideal thought is to run disks at all corners (I hate drum brakes.. lol) I am not sure if my budget will allow me to do that yet. so initally I was thinking of just getting a salvage yard booster, master cylinder & valve (2013 or newer) to replace the current setup? I am sure the factory setup is not a big deal.... but for some reason it bothers me...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote