View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #57
edszuk

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If you want a 3/4 ton, then by all means go ahead and switch the front. But you will at a minimum have to change the lower control arm as well as the spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. IMO if you don't necessarily want a 3/4 ton, just change the rear end, it's a lot simpler. What year of truck do you have? If you want discs on the front, just get a 1/2 ton '71-'87 front suspension for the front. Then you could get away with just changing the balljoints, spindles, rotors, calipers, etc. Regardless whether you go to 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton front discs, you will need to upgrade the brake master to a dual reservior unit.
I have a 66 C-10 1/2 and would like to keep it a 1/2. On the rearend you have reweld perches and panhard right? Do you know what the pinion angle would be? I would love to convert to 5 lug. I went to a local junkyard to see what they had. He had a 5 lug front clip sitting there collecting dust. I asked him how much would it be for the 5 lug front end and a rear end. He said 500.00. That's how much I paid for the truck. I thought this was much for junkyard parts. I called a few junkyards around here and all want close to 250.00 for rear ends. Does anyone in California have a 6 lug rear end laying around for less?

Ed