View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 02:37 AM   #25
Rufas

Re: AC system choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
before you invest in an R12 system, better check the latest EPA regs, it's on it's way out..

it's enemy is not media hype, it's irresponsible use and atmospheric venting that forces regulation..

I'm no tree hugger but I'm also fully aware of where most consumer sold refrigerants end up..
R12 has been 'on it's way out' since 1993. R12 is still available for sale for about $13 a can on eBay.

I'm getting my factory A/C back together. Since I already have three cans of R12 I'll most stay with R12. R134 is not exactly environmentally friendly either.

R134 or 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane also known as norflurane, R-134a, 134a, Forane 134a, Genetron 134a, Florasol 134a, Suva 134a, or HFC-134a is haloalkane refrigerant a with thermodynamic properties similar to R-12 (dichlorodifluoromethane) but with insignificant ozone depletion potential and medium global warming potential. It is generally considered to be non flammable but shares the same flammability issues with the PAG Oil or Ester Oil lubricant used for the compressor during a catastrophic decompression. Auto Ignition Temp is 1328°F. It is also considered a testicular carcinogen. It is rumored that EPA plans a phase out to R1234-YF by encouraging the manufacturers to increase the price. As of January 2018 the EPA is requiring a 609 certification to purchase large cylinders of product. The availability of small cans for the general public remains the same at this time however the cans must have self sealing valves.

It looks like R1234-YF just might be the replacement for R134.

R1234-YF or 2,3,3,3-Tetrafluoropropene, is a hydrofluoroolefin (HFO) with the formula CH2=CFCF3. This colorless gas has been approved as a replacement for R-134a as a refrigerant in MVAC applications. Most all automotive manufacturers are switching to R1234YF as of the 2017/2018 Model year. R1234-YF has been classified as H220: Extremely Flammable in the MSDS from National Refrigerants. However ASHARE ( American Society of Heating and Air-Conditioning Engineers ) states it is mildly flammable with an A2 designation. When combined with compressor oil under pressure it becomes extremely flammable during a catastrophic decompression.

In the atmosphere, HFO-1234yf degrades to trifluoroacetic acid, which is a mildly phytotoxic strong organic acid with no known biodegradation mechanism in water. In case of fire it releases highly corrosive and toxic hydrogen fluoride and the highly toxic gas carbonyl fluoride.

Seems like no refrigerant is ideal.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote