View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #137
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
"Bleached Gold" I'm thinkin'. In celebration of painting my original Dark Gold truck to White!

Have another question! I've been perusing the web for a radio and doing some reading. I'm probably going to get a "Cobra 29LTD 40-Channel CB Radio" They have it local at the Ham Radio outlet in Burbank. Anyhow, I was also reading the reviews on Amazon. I looked at other accessories on Amazon and some reviews.

To the point. I looked at this coax cable: Below the review is the link. Is this true, could this happen? I assume reviewer actually meant during calibration. Can this happen? What do you think? I'm thinking to piece my system together from Ham radio outlet, so I can make sure I get quality connections!

Here's the guys review!

Garbage. I installed this on my truck's cb when I relocated it. The cheap plastic that connects to the cord that was longer than any other I've used before broke. I thought, no big deal. But upon further inspection, I found the metal inside had also broken. Not a huge deal except I discovered this when tuning my radio. The damage was done, however, as it fried my radio and is permanently distorted. Thus, rendered useless. Installed a few weeks outside the return date. Expensive lesson learned. I'll never use this or any of their products again.

https://www.amazon.com/RG-58A-Coaxia...ews-filter-bar

Thanks again!

J
Yeah. Sadly, probably true. Cobra is a good radio maker. Treat it with respect and don't cheap out on coax. You want RG-58/U, preferably USA-made. [May no longer be possible, but don't give up.] I liked Amphenol brand. The horror story is true -- if the final [transmit] stage does not resonate properly with the right 50-52 Ohm cable, the component will burn up. CB shops used to sell Dummy Loads [a PL-259 plug with an attached 52 Ohm resistor] for in-shop testing. As a high school kid, I once fried the final on my Whiteface and had to have a tech rewire in a new one. Not quite so expensive then, as the old tech sets were meant to be servicable, but it did set me back on a kid's budget. Possible a fried Final would total a new-tech solid state unit.
Get the best Co-Axial RG-58/U cable you can from your Ham shop. Those guys know what they're doing.

There used to be some historical friction between the Ham [Amatuer Radio] community and Citizen's Banders. They were forced to give up the 11 Meter Band [ca. 27Mhz] for the new Citizens Band by the Government. The original aim was a simplified business-friendly wavelength, with easy public access. The 11 Meter band was a favorite for its "Skip" properties. That is the ability for the signal to bounce off E-Layer and F-Layer belts in the earth's ionosphere. Fantastical transmissions to unlikely parts of the world were possible. Exchanging QSO cards is what Hams live for. But the FCC made the laws, so the Hams lost those frequencies.
Then, when it got popular and used by the whole crazy public in such a raucous manner, they got disgusted with CBers in general. Usually if you were casually discussing radio theory and the other guy got interested in your conversation, once you mentioned you were a CBer and not a Ham, he'd clam up. I never became a Ham because their equipment gets expensive, I'm not that strong on math, and I could never remember Morse Code. [Used to be a requirement to tap out, and read ''code'' for the basic Amatuer entry level.] I got into the CB hobby first, and it is what it is.
So tread lightly when dealing with Hams. Most of them are quite intelligent. I don't know if the resentment tradition has carried over, but as a group they don't consider CBers as their equals.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote