Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
dfairchild19

Re: Berthas Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Oof, I will have to deal with that ogre in my file cabinet labeled "Suburban" to get that information. Keep in mind, the only parts I bought were the water inlet housing itself (a/c compressor mount) and the upper alternator bracket. I tried buying the lower alternator mount, but it still hasn't arrived. I had to make my own lower hose fitting and I bet you will have to also. You're not going to like this, but, you will need a water outlet (thermostat housing) that points straight up and the corresponding thermostat and seals. The water outlet you have will get in the way of the upper alternator bracket (can be modified), but the biggest issue is the forward part of the housing gets in the way of your new belt routing. It can be routed around it, but you will end up with, maybe, 90* wrap on at least two high drag components. I thought this was such a bad situation that I sold my housing, seals and thermostat like you have on your motor and went with the straight up one (after trying another one also).
I believe I understand what all it takes for this setup to work properly. The vendor that I had lined up said that either he or Cummins offers a kit to run this setup. This included the inlet housing/compressor mount that bolts to the block, an upper and lower alternator mount, a new straight up upper water outlet neck, a new lower water inlet neck that turns 90 left out of the housing then 90 down(wont work), a tensioner and tensioner bracket, as well as a new compressor and alternator. The package of all brand new components came to a total of a little over $1100. I believe that I would be able to use everything in the kit except for the lower inlet neck which I could use a neck that just comes straight out of the housing similar to the one you ended up going with. I should be able to use the lower tensioner bracket and tensioner depending on how much the bracket tries to interfere with the frame as I can just fab a notch into the frame since it will be fully boxed and will not compromise the strength of the frame.

It is definitely more than I wanted to shell out for this setup and he supposedly has his alternator and custom made to a one wire 22 si higher output and his compressor lines custom made to a specific orientation as well. I have no experience with this setup to know if any of this is needed or if either of these components are available off the shelf which is part of the reason I asked for the specs for your setup and how much you had wrapped up in it.

Quote:
Gee sir, I have money that I want to trade to you for those items you have for sale. Can I please give you my money?? Please?? Nice.
Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on with this. He was usually pretty good about answering my PMs but just stopped responding for some reason. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's just busy or has a personal issue to tend to or something along those lines but I sure would like to get a move on this......

Quote:
The lines were a real bish. If I had it to do again, I would cut the upper fittings off and have a hose company make the lower ends with a higher quality hose in between. I can give you numbers on the hoses and as soon as you try to make them work you will inderstand why I say that. That being said, if you can get hoses out of a wrecking yard like the ones that I have, grab them and use the booster ends with new hose and make some new lower fittings. This is a REAL fun part of the project.

The Dodge power steering pump is not a Dodge power steering pump. It is a Saginaw pump manufactured by GM. Yup, the same GM as made the hydroboost that you are going to get and the steering box you have. The pump and hydroboost will have o-ring fittings. Your box has inverted flare fittings. You can have lines custom made with o-rings on one end and flares on the other. You can also get a steering box out of a GM straight axle 4x4, 1981 and newer to install. It will bolt in and have the superior sealing o-ring ports on it. That is what I did on mine. I found a virgin steering box on a 90 V20 Suburban and rebuilt it.
I have a Parker Store nearby but I am not sure if they would mess with these fittings or not. Its worth a shot to have high quality hoses that fit correctly I suppose. I'm not sure how I will give them something to make them off of short of taking the box, pump, and booster to them if I don't have the hoses to show the ends and also don't know the orientation of the hoses. Maybe that will become more apparent when I have the components all present and together. Search may help a bit too.

As for the steering box, I will not be running the stock 4wd unit. Instead I already planned to run a 2wd 81-87 box for crossover its splined input shaft that will mate up to an xj steering shaft to keep everything tight and do away with the rag joints.

Quote:
I'm envious. You have someone to ask questions to!!
As you should be!!! Your help and experience with all of this is great but I also enjoy talking to you and others that have been down many of the same roads that I have been and will be. I know I could get by without having you and others to talk with and ask questions but it sure would be a whole different ball game than having access to pick your brain about all of this. I'm not sure that's a game that I want to play!!!
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote