View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
76/85 Truck

4x4 Shifter Clearance and Indicator Light

When I bought my truck from my grandpa, he had swapped a 1985 GMC 2wd body onto the 1976 Chevy 4wd frame. The '76 was full time 4wd, so he cut the floor hump out of the '76, and put it in the 2wd GMC body. Last year, I swapped in an NP205 transfer case when my transmission went out, along with a set of drive lines and locking hubs.

When I swapped the transfer case out, the position of the shifter through the floor changed. I can't put the truck into 4-lo (all the way forward, towards the engine) because the shifter hits the floor.

The question I have is, do they make an aftermarket NP205 shifter that will replace the one I have to allow my transfer case to go into 4-lo? Or would it be better and easier to cut a bigger hole and get a bigger shifter boot?

And another question... On my instrument cluster, when I replaced all the bulbs, I noticed a "4WD" light. The dash in the truck however, is original to the 2wd GMC. But the light is still there... So I was wondering which wire in the harness goes for that light, and how do I hook up an indicator switch to the transfer case to wire to the harness?

Thanks!

My first truck!! 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton Camper Special and a 1985 GMC body. Has a 350, 4 BBL Edelbrock, with a Turbo 350, and NP205 T-case.
76/85 Truck is offline   Reply With Quote