View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #42
Thealien

Re: AM I wrong in being disappointed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I've been reading thru this several times letting it soak in...
You were misled and Your right to be disappointed...and you've blamed yourself
All which are true..
Your willing to take a hit on it as well..

But you already had a paint budget...if you take that paint budget and add what your willing to lose by selling it, how close would that get you to getting it fixed!? 15k+??
Add to that how much over the 25k you already spent, that you would spend on another blazer..you may close to fixing what you got..then what you buy may not be much better than what you've already got..
If you spent 30k to buy another, add that extra 5k to your 15k and your around 20k ...would that fix it?

My C30 was advertised as rust free..but I stuck a screwdriver into the door post..
My IH was also advertised as rust free...I also stuck a screw driver thru the door post on it...
I fixed both and moved on, and am happy now...
If would be near impossible to find a untouched rust free blazer of those yrs...especially in that price range...
thing is it looks fixable..but I'd let your body man make that call
You had a fairly large budget for all the different things you wanted done...maybe theres some things you could do without and move that money to the body fund...
I would also like to mention over 10 years ago I did an LS swap on my 1972 Jimmy 4 X 4 probably one of the earliest 4 X 4 LS swaps documented on this site. I did 90% of the work on that one and it cost me about $10,000 in parts to get it finished.

So far 2 businesses have been talked to, one looked at it yesterday, the other in a couple of weeks. They are both saying $10,000 to get ready for paint (fixing rust, the abortion of a fuel fill, found additional rust in cowl, front fender horn (I really want a 1968 front clip, might not be able to but with 1 fender rusted, rust on radiator support, cracked grill needing replacement it "might" be equal, lots of bondo in the quarters) and this is not including the doors (which I am trying to buy replacements because the repair would most likely cost more than my estimate of $1,000 for 2 doors) or "surprises" (which there will be). So my $10,000 paint job on my rust free truck is now $20,000+. I might be able to find someone to save me a couple thousand but if I am going to do it I would like to do it right.

The whole fuel fill (need the fuel fill and vent pipes that go through floor, hope someone has a nice used set) and gas tank needs work (gas tank needs replaced, hanging down and wet all over).

No seatbelts even though was told he thought the front ones were blue

Front grill cracked and missing drivers trim ring. Not shown in any pictures.

Horn doesn't work

No carpet strips or door sills. Between door panels, rear panels, top panel strips, panel stand offs, bed to tailgate seals, window fuzzies and sweeps I bet there is a couple thousand+ in parts without doing carpet and seats!

Tach and fuel guage don't work and not sure of the rest, it's ubdriveable and unable to pass inspection. I know with an LS swap I would need an electric speedometer but the rest of the gauges need to work with either engine ($600)

I was hoping to drive this year and start after summer. I am not going to put anything into making it road worthy but all the other stuff is already being reduced due to all the above not including the double paint job cost!

$25,000 blazer
$20,000 paint (most likely to increase)
$10,000 suspension installed including brakes, I don't think its possible to buy all the parts for $10,000 let alone installed. Not talking Heidt or QA1 either!
$10,000 LS swap (was going 6.0 now probably older 5.3) And I don't think by the time you do radiator, gas tank, harness, driveshaft, harness I still don't think this is possible. Probably still closer to my original $15,000
---------------------------------------------------------------
$65,000 Probably closer to $75,000 with the above overages expected without any interior, wheels,gauge cluster and all the nickel and dime stuff that adds up like carpet strips etc! I will probably have to use the ugly blue seats and just the painted floors if I can get it done to that point within the above estimates. So $75,000 without an interior and cutting some corners. It would be a sweet Blazer at that point but there are some damn nice vehicles in that price range!

Last edited by Thealien; 02-19-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote