View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 05:23 PM   #4
hatzie

Re: Commercial OBDI (ALDL) scan tools with some OBDII support

MT2500-600A Super Power Pak
Name:  SPP itself.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  88.9 KB

This is a clever little widget that passes the comms ground and power through while making the tool separate from the vehicle battery.
This will run the MODIS and Solus scanners that use the same cabling as the MT2500

Instruction sheet:
Here's the instructions from the back of the Domestic manual. I added repair parts numbers to the bottom of the page.
MT2500-600A-1_Instructions.pdf

The MT2500 doesn't have an external power supply jack. The vehicle diagnostic port provides power and ground to the tool on Terminals 1 & 15 to run the tool.
Yes there's a 9V battery under the LH rubber bumper will power up the unit as long as you hold the red button down. I believe it'll keep some data alive in the tool for a short time but I don't bother with the 9v battery.
It'll be upset with you during bootstrap but it won't affect any operation I've wanted to use. When you leave it in the closet for 8 months you won't have a tool full of battery juice either.

My MT2500 came with one of these power paks in the case. It had a leaking battery and no charger. I didn't pay extra for it.

I found several Super Power Paks on evilbay. These guys are really super proud of these things. They range in price from just a little too much to way way way too much to good lord what are they smoking.
Guaranteed they have leaking dead NiCd power cells inside just like mine did.

I decided since I had the pak I might as well make it work. I've used it once on my brothers' truck cause the tool was shutting down when we cranked it.
The original dead battery pak inside the widget was 7 500mah flat top NiCd AA cells welded in series. I re-loaded mine with 7 1100mah flat top AA NiCd cells glued together with hot snot and with nickel tabs welded in series. The bare cells were $28 but they cost more now.

These are the cells I removed from the tool. I have em in that Ziploc in a box with a handful of other batteries under my lab bench.
I really should take these to Manchester or Concord next time I go.
The Cadmium and Nickel are likely worth recovering.
Name:  20240308_150032[1].jpg
Views: 90
Size:  60.6 KBName:  20240308_150041[1].jpg
Views: 100
Size:  30.5 KB

The batteries have red and black 18 0r 20ga copper wires that were mostly jackets filled with green goo and battery juice. The terminals in the Molex KK156 plug were white and furry and the plug on the PC board was furry. The slider switch was damaged from the juice too so I replaced it as well.
Unfortunately I just pitched the green furry wires without taking pictures and I'm not going to pull the pak apart to show off my hot snot and tab welding prowess .

There's a heavy cardboard shoe between the original batteries and the circuit board. My notes say I re-installed it to keep the batteries from shorting out on the comm connector pins. I also recall a bunch of degraded foam tape all over the inside of the shell and the circuit board now that I think about it.

Links to the parts according to my 2018 Mouser Electronics order:
I bought flat top Dantona brand 1100mah NiCd industrial AA cells from Batteries Plus in Concord.
The original Snap On charger for the Super Power Pak is 24vDC 100ma 5.5mm x 2.5mm center positive barrel plug. 24vDC 800ma or 1A with 5.5mm x 2.5mm center positive barrel plug are easy to find and nearly free. I didn't have one in my wall wart box. My local thrift store always has all kinds of power supplies for cordless landline phones, adding machines, toys, laptops, speakers, game consoles, ... I think I paid $1 for a 24V 2A wall wart with a 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC barrel plug.
Name:  Super Power Pak Pkg.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  29.5 KB

My thoughts... You'll likely be cleaning up the leaked dried up NiCd battery juice from inside the pak and replacement battery cells ain't free. If you want one of these, factor this into your decision.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 05-05-2024 at 08:07 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote