View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Skirkpat

Re: 67-72 to S10 swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90\87Formula View Post
I've seen some of the swaps the guys with mid 50's trucks have done and some of the look pretty good.

To answer the above questions:
Yes the frame is narrow. The 50's guys have been using wheels adapters to get the wheels out farther.

I'm not worried about payload. In the 20+ years I've had the pickup, the heaviest thing I put in the back was a new washer from Sears. My old 3/4 ton Chevy van and trailer is used for any thing bigger than that.

I'm thinking on the lines of my cab and a small wooden stake-bed on the back; mounted on a mid 80's long bed S10 frame.
It won't be a show truck; I'm not into that type of stuff. Just an economical runaround truck or at least more economical than it is right now.

Here's a link to one of the 50's swaps. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=305723
I am not flaming your idea, It just is not something I would think many people would try.

I understand why the 50's guys do it, it is to gain independent front suspension, power disc's, upgraded safety W/ dual master cyl. Those trucks are narrower, and still need spacers as you pointed out.

You already have or could have those with bolt on parts, if you want a 4 cyl engine for mileage, I would look for a Nova strait four, or something along that line? no power, but neither would a 2.8 V-6 under a full size cab. The frame is not the heavy part the cab is.

oh, and a 2001 HD 2500, 8.1 Allison Shortbed 4 Door
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote