View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
89AKurt

Re: Replica of my '69 (conversion of AMT '72)

Started on the interior. I found this amusing, modern kits usually have no headliner detail, much less sun visors. Ruined by the 'glass' bridge.

Evaluating the dash, which needs to be raised. Will remove the lower gauges, and have aftermarket gauge faces to use.

Used a hot-wire to destroy the interior tub, to remove the seats and door panels.

Chassis has a slight warp the should be fixed.

Destroyed the custom grill, to use the lights, hoped to use the grill part but....

Cut 'glass' with hot-wire. Made the floor, not worried about undulating like the real thing because doors won't be opened. Going to cut out window and door cranks. Bumper lights filled. Brake booster painted, should be good to touch days (weeks?) from now. Going to dent and weather the bed floor. Figured out the grill pieces won't work, plan B needs to be worked out.

Drew what needs to be scratch-built, based on measurements of my real '68. Discovered the tailgate is not correct in width and height, not a huge deal but will adapt for the lettering. Pet peeve of mine are the taillights.

Cut the seat from Corian.

Used the bench sander to rough shape, scribed pleats with knife, filed to shape and sanded. Stretched sprue for the piping.

Some sanding, set on simple mounts, again not detailed because the doors won't be opened.

I have a more detailed narrative on the Model Car Magazine forum.
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/t...omment-2186721