View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #29
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

After working on the bed for a few hours on and off all day Sunday I need a change direction to keep me in the shop. So I decided the new goal for the day was to finish getting the rest of the lower drivers side cab corner tack welded in which was already about 60% there a few days ago. Then to get it ground down and in at least one coat of filler.

Things went pretty smooth tacking in the metal and grinding down with a 4.5" cut off wheel used for cutting metal. When I was done I went to a DA sander with 60 grit pad to remove all existing paint and remove whatever the covering was on the repair cab corner part.

Was able to get the items checked off and also had worked a few of the upper areas of the bedside. Real happy with how straight the top rail is coming.

I get PM's from time to time asking questions about products used so here is a list of what I am using right now for the filler work:

-Upol Liteweight Gold filler UP0745
-Duragold 6" round sandpaper stick and peel in (60, 80, 120 grit right now)
-Durablocks in several lengths and shapes using the same grits above
-Aluminum straight edge to check areas for highs and lows
-Mirka dry guide coat black powder with foam applicator
-Harbor freight stud gun with different studs purchased from Amazon
-Steck lever for pulling studs
-Various body hammers, rubber mallet, slapping spoons and dollies

I just want to put this out there, I am not a professional at all. I do this as a hobby and only want to share what works for me. There are various ways to to get this work done and several different levels of products that can be used. I try different products from time to time and when I find something that gives me good results and is affordable I stick with it.
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote