View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #95
hewittca

Re: 67-72 Development/Concept Photos Galore!

I am currently working on an update for the 73-87 development photos, and within my latest photo set for that, I also found the photos below and thought they would best be placed here given their dates.

Aside 4, Chevrolet Tempo

Before seeing the photos below, I had never heard of the Chevrolet Tempo concept. Even after seeing that it existed, I could not find any information on it to support these photos. With that said, the only information I have on this concept is what I've gathered from the photos themselves. It appears that after the shelved Blazer concept that GM was working on in '65, they moved on to a similarly sized light utility truck called the Tempo in '67. Although the Tempo was similar in size to the original Blazer concept, you can see that it was a completely unique design, sharing almost nothing with the original Blazer. By '70, GM was clearly as far along with the Tempo concept as they were the original Blazer before it too was shelved. We know now that Chevrolet would instead import the Isuzu Faster and rebrand it as the Chevrolet Luv starting in '72, effectively killing the independently designed Tempo. I have no relevant knowledge on the Luv, so I'm not sure why GM chose to use the Luv over the Tempo, but my only guess is it was related to cost. With that introduction, I'll get to the photos!

-July '67
During this time, GM started laying out potential profiles for what would become the Tempo concept. These early profiles depict it with more of a cab over design.

-July '70
Fast forward to 1970 and GM has finalized the design of the Tempo and has built several prototypes. The first prototype is the clay model, and the second white Tempo appears to be a preproduction ready fully functional truck.

That's all the information I have on the Chevrolet Tempo. If any of you could provide further insight that would be much appreciated!
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote