View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #49
68Gold/white

Re: My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Wide Bed Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth1SITF View Post
Been off a little bit busy at work then I was sick for a little while so I have slacked off quite a bit in the last few months. Now getting back to things. Sending the frame down for powder coating next week. Hotchkis Rear suspension system was received so I will be putting that in once it gets back. Pictures to follow of powder coating here soon.

I do need some suggestions if someone can help me. I have now decided to put a 454 into the truck. What I am wondering is, for the automatic transmission, what is the best combination of torque converter, transmission, and rear end ratio should I use to make the best balance? I have been suggested to replace the rear-end with a modern rear end so I can make best of the disc brakes ect.

Anyone have and good suggestions? In the planning stages now since I am getting close to being finished with the frame.
There's so many members on this site, it's a great thing. Each one of them has their idea's. There's many ways to do things, it's crazy.

I'm pretty conservative. Glad to hear your choice of a 454. big block crate engines can be had for a fair price, especially compared to LS stuff. Look at Scoggin Dickey's website, it you don't already have an engine in hand.

Not sure what a "modern" rear might be. All the 67-72 coil spring 1/2 tons had 12 bolt rears, there may be some rare exceptions, and the leaf spring pickups had Dana rear ends (GMC's mostly?) The pickup 12 bolt is nearly the same as the car 12 bolt. One pinion bearing is the only difference, making the car and truck gears not interchangeable. The gear carriers will interchange.

Two of the most common gear ratios in these pickups are 3.73, and 3.07. Either would work fine in your case. If you were worried about MPG, the 454 would not have been your choice to start with. A TH400 trans would work just fine, be the strongest also. Continental torque converters make a cool unit that doesn't slip, but still has the performance we all want, it's not cheap, but worth every penny.

The 454 w/ a TH400, and 3.73 gear would be an awesome performer, could get 12 MPG w/ a proper tune...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote