View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 12:58 AM   #42
EricU

Re: SMOG LEGAL ENGINE SWAP TO LS yesterday passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hubbard View Post
I was going to put the Erod in my 90 3/4T Suburban but found out there is a weight limit for the vehicle and my suburban is 1000 lbs over the weight limit for the Erod LS3.
I ran into the same thing as I had talked myself into just paying the extra monies for an E-rod. I had justified the LSA/8-speed version as it would outlast me for a weekender hot rod in my 2wd 89 C30 (R30). Then I missed a call back from my local (North SF Bay) smog ref who did mention on the voice mail;
1) no car engines (good bye plentiful Camaro 6.2/6L80e)
2) no "E-rod" conversions.

Then I found out about the class 1 (<6.5k GVWR), 2a (6k-8.5k) & 2b (8.5k - 10k)

My truck happens to be a non-CA R30 (1-ton dually C30 for 89) So, now I'm trying to figure out what more modern (but as said above "not too modern") trucks came with either a 6.0 or 6.2 along with a six speed automatic that will meet the GVWR criteria for the class 2b (8.5k-10k lbs GVWR).

I have another call into my local smog ref and hope to pin down some more info.

Though it doesn't help to whine about it, I am still amazed that I can't swap a much cleaner burning more modern engine/tranny and pull out the TBI 454, but "oh well". Funny thing is that it is the GVWR that is going to cost me a bunch of money and time and the only thing that I will tow is my woman and a couple of German Shepherds!!