View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #94
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: Project Underfunded / next phase - LSx carb'd to LSx efi

funny you should ask.

They found the problem. Was in the harness. A pin (47?) that shows as a ground circuit in the '09 schematics is actually ignition +12v, as per '07 schematics. Or something along those lines.

Anyway they corrected it and installed it on another motor and tested it out. Everything good to go he pulled and packed the harness and modules and shipped them out the next day. I just got the harness, ecm, and tcm via the little brown truck today. So I started installing it and somehow...pulled a lead out of the injector #7 connector.

He's sending me a repair kit.

After cooling off a bit, I continued installation and have everything is pretty much ready to try and fire it. I was going to get it running before the trans swap....but since I had to loosen the passenger headers and drop the starter to reconnect the crank sensor...and since I'll want to go beat on it when I get it running...........I decided heck I might as well go ahead and drop the 200-4r now and install the 4L85e. I drained the 200-4r tonight and tomorrow will drop it and then work to get the 85e into position. This way I can go ahead and measure for and get my almost new driveshaft modified with the new 1350 slip yoke and shortened. Next to beef up will be rear yoke and rear end, then it should finally be fairly safe to beat on... and trust it to get me home.

Question to our transmission experts....I purchased a brand new 4L85e from GMPP and would like to know if when I pull the retaining bar that holds the torque convertor in place for shipment...is this transmission ready for install since it reads "tested" on it and seems full of fluid?
Or, do I have to pull the TC out of position and pour in some tranny fluid to make sure it doesn't dry start... like I would with a dry trans & convertor? I'm guessing its good to go??

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote