View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
CW4B

Re: 70 C20 w/HEI Starter Stays Engaged, Ignition Switch Smoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Your ignition switch has 3 brown wires, a 12 gauge one for the accessory power to the fuse panel which has a small brown white stripe connected with it, and 2 smaller brown wires which are the brake warning light wires.

These two wires are grounded internally by the key switch when the key is turned to the S or start position. Grounding these two small brown wires is a test for the brake warning light bulb. They are not supposed to be connected to anything inside the switch but the ground.

The green wires do the same thing for the temperature light if you have a light dash.

If the switch is shorting internally when it is placed in the start position the hot red wire will be shorted to ground through these two wires and they will burn up.
The 12 gauge purple wire will be shorted to ground as well and it may burn up also. It may also be shorted to the red power wire which will continue to send power to the solenoid and keep the starter engaged.

If you haven't already disconnected everything you can test this by dropping the shift lever in drive which will break the circuit on the purple wire and the starter should disengage.

Attachment 1780942
VetteVet,
I have a new ignition switch and connector. Before installing, decided to ohm out the wires coming into the switch with the following results. NOTE: I have not ohmed out each wire to its destination. I did not repeat duplicate values.

CONDITIONS
Battery disconnected
Starter disconnected
Ignition Switch disconnected

KEY
SOL=Purple to starter S
G2=2 brown wires for brake warn light
IGN=Pink to power HEI
ACC=1 brown + 1 brown with white stripe to accessory on fuse box
BATT=Red wire to battery (not sure if this actually goes to battery)
CHASSIS GROUND=not a wire but chassis ground

MEASURES
CHASSIS GROUND-SOL=infinity
CHASSIS GROUND-G2=127 ohm
CHASSIS GROUND-IGN=122 ohm
CHASSIS GROUND-ACC=6K ohm
CHASSIS GROUND-BATT=7.6M ohm
SOL-ALL=infinity
G2-IGN=12 ohm
G2-ACC=6K ohm
G2-BATT=infinity
IGN-ACC=6K ohm
IGN-BATT=infinity
ACC-BATT=infinity

Should I be concerned about any of these readings?
CW4B is offline   Reply With Quote