View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #99
68Stepbed

Re: POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!!

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised Holleys are in second place here. When I first put the 350 in my truck, I listened to everybody else that said Holleys were junk and to get an Edelbrock. Well, I got one. It ran perfect for about 3 months(right when the 90 day warranty was out), then it would spit, sputter, stall, was hard to start after warmed up, burned your eyes while idleing, and just plain old didn't have the pep it had when new. I had a guy take it apart and clean it. It did ok for a week. I ended up trading it for a rebuilt one. After about a month it did the same thing. So, I bought another new one. It was the same as the first new one. It ran great for 3 months(when warranty was out) then started the same crap. It would occasionally stumble a die under WOT. The last straw was when I went to pull out into kinda heavy traffic, it died when I put my foot in it and pulled into the left lane. It almost got me run over. I went the next day and bought a Holley. No more stumbling, no more stalling, no more rich idle, and it ran alot better than the Edelburp did when new.

My last Edelbrock was on my 86 with a 305. The electronic Q-jet crapped out and I had to have a new carb. I wanted a Holley, but nobody had one. Also, if I were to get an Eddy, I wanted a 500, but nobdy had one and it would've been 3-4 days before getting one, and I need something right then. I ended up buying a 1406. It did the exact same crap the other 3 did. It ran good(despite being too big for the 305) for exactly 3 months, then went to crap again. I'm 0-4 on 1406 Edelbrocks and 4-0 on Holleys

Now, that said, the only good Edelbrock I've had was a 500 cfm that I traded with a co-worker to put on my 66 truck with a stock 350. That carb ran perfect, and was a great match to the stock 350. It was almost like having a EFI engine.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote