Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #142
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

So the last thing of today I decided to do was kind of get the tailgate ready to put some primer on it....It seems the little creases want to rust for some reason..I guess it just holds water so the only way I knew of how to get that out was a wire wheel.....I also used the wire wheel on the bed side to get the surface rust out of the crease...seemed to work well.

Funny thing about the tailgate is it has letters and bot oh bot C H E V R O L E T is ALOT of letters to get cleaned....and then you flip it over and have the same thing...lol but at least I know it will be clean when its time to paint it...I did find a little bondo on the top rail of the tailgate...guess someone actually used it for a truck at one point....It does have a little bow to it but again it was used...its not really bad and I'm not replacing it for sure......I didn't get to finish the outside...just kinda ran out of time for today..but tomorrow is another day.

Also got some rattle can primer on the front fender.....these are just very light coats to keep it from rusting .

I did find that I will need some tailgate trunnons since the tailgate sits about 3/16 lower that the bed side...not to mention they were pretty rusted and pitted.

One thing I did notice while sanding is the bedside holes and the cab holes that hold the trim do not seem to line up....not sure if someone put bed shims or new pads that last time it was painted and didn't replace the cab mounting pads or what the deal is...I'm hoping that if I replace the cab mounts that it will raise it up just enough so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
Attached Images

Last edited by Johns 66; 07-23-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote