View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 AM   #68
67&72

Re: Where/How did you find your Truck ?

My first 67-72 was a solid dark green deluxe trim white top 70 long 1/2 2wd with 32K original miles. Late 2000, I was asked to come to an estate auction to look at it to give them a possible price range on it. It was stored in the shop and was a very original and complete truck but was running a bit rough from sitting. I told them it would need a little tune up and clean up to give a true value. They were not selling it in the auction. Coincidentally, I was looking to buy a house with some property and a shop and this place was perfect. I asked and they said it was going to be sold but not right away but they would rent it to me until they were ready to sell, I jumped on it. I moved in Feb. 01 and the truck and a clean 89 Caprice that did not sell at auction was still being stored. Of course, I now had a chance to check the truck out top to bottom, I definitely wanted it! It took several months but I finally made a package deal for the truck and the Caprice. Fixed up the Caprice and sold it. Used that money to buy gas tank(rust) and all other parts for fuel system and tune-up as well as rally wheels w/tires etc. Truck ran and drove like a new one. I decided to buy a new truck(my 02 GMC HD DMAX I still have w/44K) so I sold the 70 for down money and it went to Washington State in late 01.(that is another story)

My white(orig. orange) 67 SWB 230 6 cyl. 4 spd. 90K was next. Found it in local shopper called "GOOD NEWS". It was hidden in the back in the "too late to classify" section. Drove up with Dad and bought it and drove home with one stop for oil since it was coming out at the back of the motor pretty quickly driving at highway speeds. I got a 72 LB stripped roller given to me for the 5 lug discs, etc. Sold the package deal as a father/son project.

My 72 LB was a nice truck mostly original except for motor. It was the dark green white center and top 2 tone w/deluxe trim. I had put a V8 in an 88 S-10 blazer and was driving to work. A guy I knew had the 72 for sale but I had not asked price. He approached me to see if I would trade even his truck for my Blazer and of course, I did it, no brainer! I fixed it up a little and detailed it up and sold it to a guy in Pennsylvania several years ago and he still owns it and loves it!

Finally, this Saturday I contacted a guy with an ad on CL for a Muncie 4 speed w/bellhousing and shifter/linkage. I went to look at it and bought it and looked into his carport on the side of his shop and there it was, a 67 SWB w/factory V8 auto. He said he had sold it to a buddy but it was for sale. Contacted him and made a deal and bought it that same night. It is still 6 lug but came with a 71-72 complete 5 lug rear and most parts to change front to 5 lug. I have wanted another one for a while, but have not really been looking, and this one just fell into my lap! Made for a very good day, got a great deal on a Muncie and what I consider and even better deal on the truck since I would not have known about it if I had not found the Muncie!
67&72 is offline   Reply With Quote