Thread: 66 k20
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #103
jdl71

Re: 66 k20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylube View Post
No fun if you can't drive them even with 4.57 gears. I feel your pain drove mine with 4.57 gears and no mufflers at 60 mph for 30 miles on my first drive. The t221 transfer case is noisy normally . Drain and refill all your gear boxes and check for metal.
After doing a full look over of worn brakes and springs and hangers with hard to find or unavailable parts decided to find a square body as a organ donor giving me updated brakes, axles and 3.73 gears. Check all your springs and hangers and u bolts and alignment for the wandering. If you want i have eaton with locker and 5.14 gears you can have lol. Thanks for the updates.
5:14 is going the wrong direction lol. I do hope that you don't scrap your old stuff though, it may be of use to someone.

I know the sm420 and t221 are going to have some gear noise, but I'm pretty sure this is not normal. I did fill but not drain everything before I drove very far and used 4 or 5 pints of 80/90 so nothing was anywhere near full. I've thought about draining the gear boxes and putting something a bit heavier in. First I'm going to continue with u joints as they all look pretty dry.

Thanks for your input, you and Tom and a couple others with 4wd's have been lifesavers getting this thing going.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote